Thursday, August 14, 2008

¿Si Habla Español?

Most people in my family know I do not care for spicy food. Even mild Salsa burns my tongue. I cannot understand why the majority of the population enjoys this taste sensation. Why would anyone put something in their mouth that will cause a burning sensation? I will never understand it. This feeling was fortified when my daughter Diane and her husband & kids went out to dinner the other day. I wanted to go to Texas Roadhouse but when we pulled up to the lot there were at least 25-30 people waiting outside the entrance and another equal crowd waiting inside. Since I know that Mexican food is their favorite I suggested we go the the Acapulco which was nearby, I figured "what the heck, Surely I could find something on the menu I could eat" So we went, You might know they had Salsa and Tortilla chips on the table, I was told they were mild, To me it was HOT!. Any way I saw they had a small steak on the menu with shrimp on top, It said it had a Chipolata sauce on it so I ordered it plain, NO SAUCE! with fries. When it came It also had on the plate some tan colored rice that was bland tasting and there was also what looked like country gravy but I was told it was re fried beans, it too was tasteless and I did not order either but it came with the meal. My steak as it turned out had a white looking gravy on it and I was told that was because the shrimp that came with it was cooked in a sauce. The steak was thin and did not have a lot of flavor but at least it was not SPICY HOT! Or so I thought!



As I was cutting the meat and eating it I came across what I thought was a small piece of meat so I cut it in half and started chewing on it. After chewing on it for awhile it suddenly became apparent to me my lips, tongue, throat, and all the way to my stomach were suddenly on fire. I jumped to my feet trying to figure out what was going on, I was coughing, gaging, trying to get my breath and jumping up and down trying to calm the pain. Eventually it subsided a little as I gulped down my Iced Tea. Ryan informed me that I had probably eaten a Jalapeno or a Habanaro pepper. I thought I was near death. You cannot tell me people enjoy eating these things. It has to be they are showing off by eating them or they have no taste buds left.

If you want to see how I reacted click on this u-tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ip5oGlMfU

1 comment:

Junosmom said...

Oh, wow! I am wondering if all the patrons around you were wondering what was wrong with you? Did you tell the waiter? If you asked for no hot, there should have been no hot, but perhaps you didn't say por favor?